Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

Visitor fron Earthly Delights

On Thursday Dougal from Earthly Delights came to Room 13 to tell us all about worm farms and to teach us how to care for them.
This is pea straw that goes at the bottom of the worm farm. The worms can go in and out of it and it lets lots of air in.

Next you have to tear newspaper and wet it, then place it on top of the pea straw.


After you put some old horse manure on top of the damp newspaper. This will have lots of bacteria for the tiger worms to feed on.

This is our class looking at a big group of worms huddling together, like spaghetti. Within minutes the worms had disappeared into the soil to hide from the light. These tiger worms were then added to our worm farm.

This is Dougal showing us an old piece of carpet underlay that is made from natural materials. It is the final item that goes on top to keep fruit flies away from the worm farm.

Our worm farm is nearly finished.

Finally the food scraps are added to the worm farm. Then the underlay will be put on top and the lid closed.

Next week we will take another photo to show what the worm farm looks when it is finished and the worms have started feeding

By Cole and Olivia T.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pleased I'm not a worm, but if I was one I'd like to live in your farm.

    ReplyDelete